Moving can feel a bit like a juggling act. There are a ton of things to keep track of, and it’s easy to forget about all the little things. (And the big things too!) We understand that it’s stressful, which is why we’ll do everything we can to help make things easier on you.
We’re happy to share our expert moving secrets with you! The key to a smooth moving experience is being highly organized. You don’t want to feel frazzled and rushed on moving day. If you take the time to plan things out before the big day, your move will be a breeze. Don’t worry, it’s a whole lot easier than you think!
Our advice is to plan ahead as much as possible. About a month or so before your move, it’s smart to start thinking about what to keep and what to get rid of. After all, there’s no point in paying to move items you just don’t need anymore. Once you’ve cleared out all the stuff you don’t want to take with you, you can start packing up all the things you won’t need right away. This is also a good time to arrange cut off/activation dates for your utilities.
The idea is to take care of the biggest things ahead of time, so when it comes to moving day, you won’t have much left to worry about. It’s going to be a busy day, so you don’t want to have too much left to tackle. If you need some help with planning, don’t worry—we’ve got you covered!
WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Get rid of everything you don’t want moved.
- Book elevators and make arrangements to have a truck parked in front of both locations for up to 4 hours.
- Make a list of people and businesses to notify about your new address.
- Get packing supplies: BOXES, TAPE, PAPER/BUBBLE WRAP for delicate items.
- Have your items insured. High value items will need verified values in advance of a move.
- Label items as you pack. Our boxes have rooms designated on them so you can check them off as you go and put notes in the speech bubble.
- Check all furniture and note any scratches or dents.Drain all fluids from hoses, lawn mowers, propane tanks, etc.
- Take down and pack all pictures and hanging items.
- Make sure all loose items and electronics are packed.
- Remove all fragile items from dressers and desks.
- Clean out and pack the bathrooms—you’ll need these items right away at the new place.
- Remove blankets and linens from beds and pack them up.
- Pack a bag with a change of clothes and toiletries to keep with you for the first night.
MORE PACKING & MOVING TIPS
Packing seems complicated, but we’re here to make it simple:
- Set a goal: 1 room per day per person should give you enough time. Budget more for rooms with fragiles.
- Remember: the heavier the item, the smaller the box.
- One room in a box. It makes organizing the new place much easier.
- Boxes that aren’t full aren’t stackable. If you can’t fill a box, stuff the remaining space with paper.
- Don’t pack boxes on moving day. You’ll end up losing track of things.
- Be well packed and clearly labelled.
- Have everything cleared out that is not coming.
- Movers load boxes first, so staging them in the most accessible room is best.
- Take the beds apart before the move.
- During load up, close doors on rooms that are complete—movers will know to focus on other areas.
- Direct traffic at the front of the house during the unload, informing the movers where each piece goes.
ACCESS FOR MOVERS:
- Secure designated parking as close to the house or apartment as possible.
- If there is a difficult area to move things through, having items empty and disassembled helps.
- Any dressers that have more than 3 rows should be emptied. Drawers can be left in because they take less space as one piece.
Once you’ve completed all these steps for move prep, you should be all set for a smooth moving experience!